OncLive, a digital resource platform for oncologists, will welcome 15 new members at its 7th Annual Giants of Cancer Care Winners Reception on May 30 in Chicago, Illinois.
Inductees are being recognized for furthering the field of oncology, including multiple myeloma, through research and clinical practices.
“We are looking forward to honoring each of these outstanding individuals at this year’s Giants of Cancer Care celebration,” Michael J. Hennessy Jr., president of MJH Associates, OncLive’s parent company, said in a press release.
“Each inductee has worked hard to propel the field of oncology forward through groundbreaking and innovative contributions in cancer treatment, diagnosis and research,” he said.
The peer-selected awards celebrate achievements of leading researchers and educators whose discoveries have helped advance oncology. They also have helped establish building blocks for future advances.
Candidates are nominated by the oncology community, and finalists are chosen by a seven-member advisory board of world-class oncologists. Category finalists are voted on by a selection committee comprised of some 115 field physicians.
This year’s inductees include S. Vincent Rajkumar, MD, of the Mayo Clinic, for his work in multiple myeloma. He has served as chief investigator for several clinical trials for treatment of the disease, including the landmark studies that led to the U.S. approval of the multiple myeloma therapy thalidomide.
The reception will be held at reception at the Adler Planetarium.
Here are the other honorees and their respective fields:
- Eric P. Winer, MD, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Harvard Medical School, breast cancer;
- Charles M. Perou, PhD, University of North Carolina School of Medicine/Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, cancer diagnostics;
- Richard Pazdur, MD, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, community outreach, education and/or cancer policy;
- Alan P. Venook, MD, University of California, San Francisco/Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, gastrointestinal cancer;
- Bernard J. Escudier, MD, Institute Gustave Roussy, genitourinary cancer;
- Beth Y. Karlan, MD, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, gynecologic malignancies;
- Frederick R. Appelbaum, MD, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center/University of Washington, leukemia;
- David H. Johnson, MD, University of Texas Southwest Medical Center, lung cancer;
- Saul A. Rosenberg, MD, Stanford University, lymphoma;
- F. Stephen Hodi, MD, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, melanoma and other skin cancers;
- Donald Pinkel, MD, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, pediatric oncology;
- Henry T. Lynch, MD, PhD, Creighton University, prevention/genetics;
- Jamie H. Von Roenn, MD, American Society of Clinical Oncology, supportive, palliative and/or geriatric care; and
- Susan B. Horwitz, PhD, Albert Eisenstein College of Medicine, translational science.
The post OncLive Poised to Induct 2019 Class of ‘Giants of Cancer Care’ appeared first on Myeloma Research News.